Thursday 11 August 2016

BEFORE THEY CALL I WILL ANSWER

ISAIAH 65:24 ; "BEFORE THEY CALL I WILL ANSWER"
This is a testimony written by a doctor who worked in Africa.

One night as I had worked hard to help a mother in the labour ward; but in spite of all we could do, she died ,leaving us with a tiny premature baby and a crying two-year old daughter .We would have difficulty in keeping the baby alive; as we had no incubator( we had no electricity to run on an incubator).We also had no feeding facilities.
 Although we lived in the equator, nights were chilly with treacherous drafts. One student midwife went for the box we had for such babies and the cotton wool that the baby would be wrapped in.
  Another went to stoke up the fire the fire and fill a hot water bottle . she came back shortly in distress to tell me that in filling the bottle it had burst (rubber perishes easily in tropical climates). "And it is our last hot water bottle!" she exclaimed. As in the west, it is no good crying over spilled milk, so in central it might be considered no good  crying over burst water bottles . they do not grow on trees, and there is no drug store down forest pathways.
 "All right" I said, "put the baby as near as the fire as safely can, and sleep between the baby and the door to keep it free from drafts. your job is to keep the baby warm ".
   The following noon, as I did most days, I went to prayers with any of the orphanage children who chose to gather with me .I gave the youngsters various suggestions of  things to pray about and told them about the tiny baby. I explained our problem about keeping the baby warm enough, mentioning that the baby could die if it got chills. I also told them of the two-year old daughter crying because her mother had died.
  During prayer time, one ten year  old girl Ruth, prayed  with the usual blunt conciseness of our African children. "Please God send us the hot water bottle today. it will be no good tomorrow ,God as the baby would be dead send it this afternoon."
While I gasped inwardly at the audacity of the prayer, she added "And while you are about it, would you  please send a dolly for the little girl to know that you really love her?"
 As often with children's prayers, I was on the spot. could I honestly say Amen? I just did not believe God could do this.
 Oh yes I know he can do everything; the bible says so. but there  are limits aren't they? The only God could answer this particular prayer would He by sending me from the homeland . I had been in Africa for almost four years at that time and I have never, ever received a parcel from home . Anyway, if anyone did send me a parcel who would put it in a hot water bottle?



No comments:

Post a Comment